To provide students with the opportunity to explore career pathways within the Uniformed Services, e.g. Search & Rescue, Emergency Services or Civil Defence.
Learner Goals and Outcomes
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Create a personal bush survival kit
- Demonstrate bush survival skills
- Communicate in a team or group which has an objective
- Contribute within a team or group which has an objective
- Explain search and rescue procedures
- Recognise a Civil Defence emergency
- Prepare for survival during a Civil Defence emergency
- Communicate in the outdoors using two-way radio
- Manage first aid in an emergency situation
- Provide first aid
- Provide basic life support
- Explain long-term management requirements for an emergency care situation in an outdoor recreation environment
- Assess and manage a patient’s condition long-term in an outdoor recreation environment
Other Trades Academy Courses
Year 12-13 students
1 credit at Level 1 | 8 credits at Level 2 | 13 credits at Level 3
Block course format, includes overnights. Each block 4 days in length.
Nelson / Marlborough / Tasman / West Coast
Zero cost to students. Funded by the Ministry of Education.
Week 1: 29 April-02 May
Week 2: 13-16 May
Week 3: 10-13 June
Week 4: 01-04 July
Week 1: 22-25 July
Week 2: 12-15 August
Week 3: 9-12 September
Week 4: 14-17 October
*Dates may be subject to change.