A 3 day enviro-focused camp package for intermediate & secondary students.
Outline of Activities
The aim of this camp is to provide a fun camping experience for students while increasing their knowledge and connection to the natural world, through knowledge streams of both matauranga Māori and Western understanding. Students will find ways they can take positive action to address environmental challenges and live more sustainably in harmony with Papatūānuku.
During the camp students will have the opportunity to connect to different natural environments whilst taking part in experiential outdoor learning activities. Students will be encouraged to make connections with their environment through activities they can undertake at home such as composting or even trapping, will learn about sustainable food sources and cooking practices and explore the coastline via SUP or kayak while making the link to our oceans as a food source.
Students will have the opportunity to contribute to an environmental service activity that supports local conservation initiatives with the chance to interact with the community groups who are doing some amazing work to preserve and restore our local natural environments.
During this course students will have the opportunity to:
- Establish a sense of agency for becoming kaitiaki (guardians) of the environment
- Identify positive environmental actions that are relevant to everyday life
- Develop a greater connection to self, to local environments and to community
- Enhance hauora (holistic wellbeing), improving focus, confidence and self-motivation
- Build positive relationships and social connections with peers
- Rediscover fun and joy in nature through Play*
- Explore ways to connect to nature from a Te Ao Māori perspective
- Learn contextualised welcoming and nature connection Te Reo Māori
- Explore how the food we eat connects to the environment and investigate ways to cook sustainably
Why Choose Whenua Iti Outdoors?
- Camps are facilitated by our experienced & qualified outdoor educators, allowing teachers to focus on building relationships with their class and maximising the experience for students.
- Whenua Iti Outdoors is a registered and Safety Accredited provider. Camp safety and programme planning is taken care of. Find out more on our Safety First page.
- All specialist equipment provided. If needed we can also offer personal gear to students such as sleeping equipment to remove barriers to students participation.
- Our beautiful & expansive grounds are perfect for school camps. There are kitchen facilities if you choose to self-cater or let Whenua Iti Outdoors provide food and menus at an extra cost. View Facitilities Page.
- The adventure-based learning students engage in helps improve self-awareness, confidence, leadership & teamwork which they take home and back into the classroom.
For bookings, please complete our Primary Booking Enquiry Form.
Please note: Whenua Iti Outdoors operates in line with Ministry of Education COVID-19 guidelines. For our full policy, please see our Safety Page, or request a copy via email. The order and type of activities may change due to weather or other safety reasons. Our educator team will communicate any changes with the teacher in charge.