This course is for Year 8 students with a focus on developing students’ independence and leadership skills.
Growing young leaders at Whenua Iti Outdoors centres around a relationship-based kaupapa to encourage participation and connection. Our educators will mentor participants, assisting them in their development of esssential personal and social skills and competencies that transfer to everyday self-managment, and sets the foundations of what are the essential skills they will need in the future.
Students will complete a range of personal and group challenge activities. This will include a number of Whenua Iti Outdoors on-site high element activities, for example; low or high ropes course, trapeze, flying kiore, or tower climbing.
During this course students will have the opportunity to:
- Build on leadership skills through enhanced personal and social skills
- Be positive about who they are and what they can offer
- Make independent choices
- Identify ways to contribute to school and community initiatives
- Be empowered to take on leadership roles
- Develop positive communication skills
NZ Curriculum Links
Health and Physical Education – Level 4
- Personal Health and Physical Development – A1, A3, A4
- Relationships with Other People – B1, B2, B3, B4
- Movement Concepts and Motor Skills – C1, C2, C3
Thinking | Using Language | Managing Self | Relating to Others |Participating and Contributing
Post Course Activity
It is recommended that students contribute and lead others within a community service project, this could be part of an existing school service project.