This course is for Year 8 students with a focus on developing students’ independence and environmental leadership skills.
Growing young leaders at Whenua Iti Outdoors centres around a relationship-based kaupapa to encourage participation and connection to the world around us. Our educators will mentor participants using an environmental focus, assisting them in their development of essential personal and social skills and competencies that transfer to everyday self-management, and sets the foundations of what are the essential skills they will need in the future.
Students will complete a range of personal and group challenge activities. This will include a number of WIO on-site high element activities, for example; low or high ropes course, trapeze, flying kiore, or tower climbing.
On one of the four days students will contribute to a community environmental service project which is likely to be off-site. If you want students to be involved in an existing school service project please ask.
During this course students will have the opportunity to:
- Build on leadership skills through enhanced personal and social skills
- Be positive about who they are and what they can offer
- Make independent choices
- Identify ways to contribute to school and community initiatives
- Be empowered to take on leadership roles
- Develop positive communication skills
NZ Curriculum Links
Health and Physical Education – Level 4
- Personal Health and Physical Development – A1, A3, A4
- Relationships with Other People – B1, B2, B3, B4
- Movement Concepts and Motor Skills – C1, C2, C3
Thinking | Using Language | Managing Self | Relating to Others |Participating and Contributing
Post Course Activity
It is recommended that students contribute and lead others within a community environmental service project, this could be part of an existing school service project.