Experience and learn about Aotearoa, New Zealand through this unique, immersive cultural orientation program designed to provide students with an authentic insight into Te Ao Māori and the connection between indigenous people of Aotearoa to Te Taiao (the environment).
You will learn about Te Ao Māori (the Māori world), take part in workshop activities, hear local pūrākau (stories) and expand your world view to see the world from indigenous perspectives while exploring sites of local significance. You will be supported and encouraged by our experienced and friendly instructors to make the most of the learning opportunities that await.
The programme will include a mix of activities that could include staying on a local marae (meeting house), taking part in a pōwhiri (traditional welcoming ceremony), going on a waka journey, learning the art of mau rākau (traditional Māori weaponry), learning waiata (traditional songs), preparing and sharing kai (food) while learning tikanga (protocols) and Māori approaches to family, the environment and wellbeing. Activities are subject to the season, weather conditions and other logistical factors. Further programme detail is provided on enrolment.
This is an ExpedNZ Programme. 100% profit from this programme goes towards a fund that supports community focused programming.
This programme is for you if:
- You are interested in learning more about Te Ao Māori (the Māori world)
- You’re keen to explore new environments to connect with nature through an indigenous lens
- You would like to connect more with Mātauranga Māori (Māori knowledge), te reo and tikanga Māori (Māori language and protocols)
- Increasing willingness to learn
- Understanding and assuming personal responsibility
- Developing belief in self and increasing confidence
- Developing a positive attitude
- Recognising and developing potential
- Developing resilience skills (coping with challenge and change)
- Developing positive communication skills
You will leave this course with a bunch of new friends and with your kete (basket) of knowledge topped up ! Check out our latest adventures on Facebook and Instagram.
Related Holiday Programmes
- Go Wild | 7-10 year olds
- Junior Journey | 11 – 13 year olds
- Senior Journey | 14 – 16 year olds
Interested in earning NCEA credits outside the classroom? We offer a range of fully funded Trades Academy Programmes during the school terms.