Take your students to our local beach for a practical and fun outdoors experience to build their beach safety knowledge, skills and safe practices when heading to the beach.
This course aligns with Water Safety NZ and Surf Life Saving NZ Curriculum.
The activities will be facilitated by our experienced instructors and can include raft-building, kayaking, paddleboarding, swim safety, hazard identification and the chance to build on basic survival skills.
Key Learning Objectives
- Recognise swell, rips, tidal currents and surf (dependent on conditions)
- Swim in clothing
- Swim a short distance
- Participate in a group activity – e.g. paddle relay
- Wear a buoyancy aid correctly
- Manoeuvre a sit-on-kayak using basic stokes
- Get back onto a boat with assistance in water
- Support others while being rescued
- Acknowledge the environmental care code/water care code
Please note: Whenua Iti Outdoors operates in line with Ministry of Education COVID-19 guidelines. For our full policy, please see our Safety Page, or request a copy via email.