Civil Defence Emergency Response
To provide participants with the practical skills and knowledge to be able to contribute in outdoor emergency situations. Participants will have the opportunity to experience simulated emergency exercises and gain essential rope skills important in emergency situations.
Learner Goals and Outcomes
Students will have the opportunity to achieve the following objectives:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the uses and care of rock climbing and abseiling gear.
- Demonstrate skills and understanding of knots and harnesses.
- Demonstrate the setting up and operation of anchors and belays.
- Construct an abseil system and abseil on single pitches.
- Demonstrate abseil rescue techniques.
- Contribute within a team or group which has an objective.
- Demonstrate knowledge of river dynamics and hazards.
- Cross rivers safely.
- Explain long-term management requirements for an emergency care situation in an outdoor recreation environment.
- Assess and manage a patient’s condition long-term in an outdoor recreation environment.
Other Trades Academy Courses
Year 13 students
20 credits at Level 3
Block course format, includes overnights. Each block 4 days in length.
Nelson / Tasman
Zero cost to students. Funded by the Ministry of Education.
Date are still to be confirmed.
Please register your interest in the course.
*Dates may be subject to change.