Adventure Tourism Leadership Level 2
The Adventure Tourism Leadership Programme provides students with a broad base of technical and practical outdoor skills. Underpinning the curriculum is the development of crucial personal and social development skills transferable to any vocational pathway.
Learner Goals and Outcomes
On completion of this course students will be able to:
Sea Kayaking Skills
- Demonstrate skills in safety and rescue procedures for sea kayaking.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the care of self, others, and the environment.
- Prepare for camping, establish campsites and experience camp living.
Mountain Biking Skills
- Demonstrate knowledge for bike selection.
- Select, set up and maintain a bike for either mountain biking or cycle touring.
- Prepare for mountain biking on intermediate to expert terrain.
- Complete mountain bike rides on intermediate to expert terrain.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different cave environments and cave trip management.
- Demonstrate caving techniques in a caving environment and cave navigation skills.
Rock Climbing Skills
- Demonstrate personal and social development through participation in a high ropes course.
- Demonstrate safe practices in high ropes course activities.
- Demonstrate the care and use of rock climbing gear.
- Demonstrate belay and knot skills on top rope climbs.
- Demonstrate spotting and climbing techniques.
- Identify issues related to climbing.
Personal and Social Development Skills
- Demonstrate improved social and personal development skills.
- Gain a higher level of self-confidence though challenging situations.
Other Trades Academy courses:
Pathway to Adventure Tourism Leadership Level 3
Year 12 – 13 students
20 credits at Level 2
Block course format, includes overnights. Each block 4 days in length.
Tasman / Nelson. Onsite and offsite locations depending on course activity.
Zero cost to students. Funded by the Ministry of Education.
Week 1: 25-28 March
Week 2: 08-11 April
Week 3: 06-09 May
Week 4: 27-30 May
Week 1: 29 July – 1 August
Week 2: 19-22 August
Week 3: 2-5 September
Week 4: 21-24 October
*Dates may be subject to change