Adventure Max provides students with a broad base of technical and practical outdoor skills. Underpinning the curriculum is the development of crucial personal and social development skills transferable to any vocational pathway.
Learner Goals and Outcomes
On completion of this course students will be able to:
Sea Kayaking Skills
- Demonstrate skills in safety and rescue procedures for sea kayaking.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the care of self, others, and the environment.
- Prepare for camping, establish campsites and experience camp living.
Mountain Biking Skills
- Demonstrate knowledge for bike selection.
- Select, set up and maintain a bike for either mountain biking or cycle touring.
- Prepare for mountain biking on intermediate to expert terrain.
- Complete mountain bike rides on intermediate to expert terrain.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different cave environments and cave trip management.
- Demonstrate caving techniques in a caving environment and cave navigation skills.
Rock Climbing Skills
- Demonstrate personal and social development through participation in a high ropes course.
- Demonstrate safe practices in high ropes course activities.
- Demonstrate the care and use of rock climbing gear.
- Demonstrate belay and knot skills on top rope climbs.
- Demonstrate spotting and climbing techniques.
- Identify issues related to climbing.
Personal and Social Development Skills
- Demonstrate improved social and personal development skills.
- Gain a higher level of self-confidence though challenging situations.
For Nelson, Marlborough and West Coast schools involved in Trades Academy, please note that the Adventure Max curriculum is equivalent to WIO Adventure Tourism Leadership – Level 2 curriculum.
*Payment plans are available, please ask. Airport pick-up / drop-off can be coordinated for those from out of the region.
Year 11 – 13 students
Residential block course, 16 days / 15 nights
20 Credits at Level 2
Abel Tasman & Kahurangi National Parks
Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Caving
All safety and technical equipment is provided
$2600pp. 25% discount for enrolment received by 30th Sep 2019. Includes all transport (ex Nelson)*, food, equipment, tuition, adventures and fun!
31st Oct – 15th Nov 2019