To provide students with the opportunity to explore career pathways within the Uniformed Services, e.g. Search & Rescue, Coastguard, Emergency Services or Armed Forces. Students will focus on search and rescue, sea survival, emergency services and civil defence training.
Learner Goals and Outcomes
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Create a personal bush survival kit
- Demonstrate bush survival skills
- Explain search and rescue procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of maritime distress signals and how to respond to them.
- Demonstrate knowledge of emergency equipment and the correct actions to assist the master in emergencies.
- Don a lifejacket, launch lifesaving apparatus, assist passengers and crew, and enter the water safely.
- Demonstrate knowledge of life saving appliance care and maintenance.
- Assist the master in emergency situations.
- Participate in a team or group which has an objective.
- Contribute within a team or group which has an objective.
- Explain long-term management requirements for an emergency care situation in an outdoor recreation environment.
- Assess and manage a patient’s condition long-term in an outdoor recreation environment.
Other Trades Academy Courses
Year 12-13 students
9 credits at Level 2 | 11 credits at Level 3
Block course format, includes overnights. Each block 4 days in length.
Nelson / Marlborough / Tasman / Westcoast
Zero cost to students. Funded by the Ministry of Education.
Week 1: 20-23 March 2017
Week 2: 08-11 May 2017
Week 3: 06-09 June 2017
Week 4: 19-22 June 2017
Week 1: 27-30 March 2017
Week 2: 01-04 May 2017
Week 3: 22-25 May 2017
Week 4: 03-06 July 2017
Week 1: 14-17 August 2017
Week 2: 28-31 August 2017
Week 3: 11-14 September 2017
Week 4: 16-19 October 2017
Have a Question?Email Liana Crofskey, our
Education & Partnerships Manager
Order the Programmes For Schools publication
Whenua Iti Outdoors offers programmes for schools from Year 1 through to Year 13. Our wide range of activities cater to many different learning objectives. This document provides all the information needed to assist schools with their decision making process.