To provide students with the opportunity to explore career pathways within the Uniformed Services, e.g. Search & Rescue, Coastguard, Emergency Services or Armed Forces. Students will focus on search and rescue, sea survival, emergency services and civil defence training.
Learner Goals and Outcomes
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Create a personal bush survival kit
- Demonstrate bush survival skills
- Communicate in a team or group which has an objective
- Contribute within a team or group which has an objective
- Explain search and rescue procedures
- Recognise a Civil Defence emergency
- Prepare for survival during a Civil Defence emergency
- Communicate in the outdoors using two-way radio
- Manage first aid in an emergency situation
- Provide first aid
- Provide basic life support
- Explain long-term management requirements for an emergency care situation in an outdoor recreation environment
- Assess and manage a patient’s condition long-term in an outdoor recreation environment
Other Trades Academy Courses
Year 12-13 students
1 credit at Level 1 | 8 credits at Level 2 | 13 credits at Level 3
Block course format, includes overnights. Each block 4 days in length.
Nelson / Marlborough / Tasman / West Coast
Zero cost to students. Funded by the Ministry of Education.
Week 1: 01-04 April
Week 2: 29 April-02 May
Week 3: 13-16 May
Week 4: 10-13 June
dates to be confirmed
*Dates may be subject to change.
Have a Questionemail@example.com
Order the Programmes For Schools publication
Whenua Iti Outdoors offers programmes for schools from Year 1 through to Year 13. Our wide range of activities cater to many different learning objectives. This document provides all the information needed to assist schools with their decision making process.