Manaaki Tāpoi Extension – Level 3
The Manaaki Tāpoi Extension course builds on skills and knowledge developed on the Level 2 and Level 3 courses. Tauira will be required to interpret aspects of their culture and model aspects of tikanga whilst participating in a noho marae. Learning will focus on the effective and appropriate interpretation of key elements of the Māori culture within a workplace setting. Students will gain an appreciation for the high regard that the Māori culture is held in by overseas visitors and will have opportunity to interact with these visitors.
Underpinning the curriculum is the development of crucial personal and social development skills transferable to any vocational pathway.
Learner Goals and Outcomes
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe personal leadership, peer leadership and group roles.
- Demonstrate personal leadership and peer leadership while participating in an adventure based learning (ABL) programme.
- Evaluate the personal and peer leadership provided.
- Participate in a noho marae.
- Apply marae tikanga in the workplace.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Māori associates with connections to the workplace.
- Explain tikanga in relation to communicating with Māori associates.
- Contribute within a team or group which has an objective.
It is strongly recommended prior to course start that students can demonstrate the following outcomes:
- Be able to present their own pepeha
- Have a sound knowledge of whanaungatanga
- Have a sound knowledge or kaitaikitanga
- Be able to recite at least one karakia from memory
- Be able to recite at least one waiata from memory
Other Trades Academy Courses
Year 12 and 13 students
20 credits at L3
Block course format, includes overnights. Each block 4 days in length.
Tasman / Nelson / Marlborough / Westcoast / Wellington
Zero cost to students.
Funded by the Ministry of Education.
Week 1: 26 February – 01 March
Week 2: 219-22 March
Week 3: 30 April – 03 May
Week 4: 21-24 May
Have a Questionfirstname.lastname@example.org
Order the Programmes For Schools publication
Whenua Iti Outdoors offers programmes for schools from Year 1 through to Year 13. Our wide range of activities cater to many different learning objectives. This document provides all the information needed to assist schools with their decision making process.