Leadership Exploration (Year 8)
The Leadership Exploration Programme has been designed to build leadership skills and increase a student’s self- confidence. This programme involves leadership evaluation, personal challenge, and leadership focused activities and learning.
Students will have the opportunity to talk to an influential leader in the community and will be expected to complete a service activity within the region.
Students on completion of the programme will have:
- Identified skills and attributes required for leadership.
- Developed skills and knowledge to influence and make decisions.
- Improved their personal and social skills.
- Gained new leadership skills and knowledge including problem solving and working with others.
- Taken part in organising group activities.
- Taken part in a volunteer activity in their community.
- Had the opportunity to learn from and question an influential leader from the region.
- Had the opportunity to gain confidence in themselves through challenging situations.
Year 8 students
3 days onsite at WIO, 1 day offsite
This programme is subsidised by the Ministry of Youth Development
$40 plus GST per student
Students must be at least 12 years of age at the programme start date for the MYD subsidy to apply
27+28 February | 6+7 March 2017
1+2 March | 8+9 March 2017
27+28 March | 10+11 April
22+23 May | 29+30 May
Have a Question?Email Liana Crofskey, our
Education & Partnerships Manager
Pre and Post Course Preparation:
In preparation for the course discuss leadership concepts with students, for example:
- Who do they see as inspiring/good leaders
- What are the qualities of an effective leader?
- What are the problems a leader can face?
- What are their roles within the school?
On completion of the programme ask students to reflect on their experience. Listed below are some questions that you could use or modify to suit your class:
- What they found difficult or challenging and how they addressed this?
- What they can now apply to their leadership roles within school?
- Can they think of ways their leadership roles could be modified or expanded?
- What they would like to focus on for the remainder of the year e.g. more public speaking practice, more opportunities to share ideas, working together to form group goals etc.
Order the Programmes For Schools publication
Whenua Iti Outdoors offers programmes for schools from Year 1 through to Year 13. Our wide range of activities cater to many different learning objectives. This document provides all the information needed to assist schools with their decision making process.